- Summer is nearly over but it is never to early to prepare for next year’s costumes. Learn about ways to keep a hot costume cool with this article on Cosplay & the Heat, and learn about the dangerous side effects of hot costumes on hot days with Heat Stroke and Sunburns.
- Dragon Con had a Cosplay Parade, with some neat costumes.
- This corgi is an adorable cosplayer.
- One congoer offers advice for dealing with and preventing cosplay harrassment
- This World of Warcraft wedding brings cosplay, geekery and love together.
- Many cosplayers took part in Project Secret Identity, a project to bring attention to the need for anonymity and privacy online.
- This article takes a look inside the art of cosplay.
- Costume designers from ‘The Americans’ and ‘House of Cards’ discuss their design choices.
This Week In Cosplay: Aug 11 - Aug 18, 2014
- Our Would You Rather was extra popular this week.
- Copy Rights and Copy Wrongs – Photography goes over some basic copyright information every cosplayer should know
- Congrats to Chibinischan, winner of Arda Wig’s Iron Wig 2014 Challenge
- Japan’s Summer Comiket was this past weekend, check out some cosplay pics from day 1 here, and day 2 here. Want more? Click here.
- "Long Line at Otakon Revealed To Be Cosplay Of Long Line From Anime Expo" Some enjoyable satire :P
- An article on the cosplay “issues” Heroes of Cosplay tackles from Sexy Costumes, Cosplay is not CONsent and body image.
- Giant bird wins Blizzard & China Joy cosplay competition
- Costume adaptation. The good, the bad and the future reflects on the costumes of comic book movies
This Week In Cosplay: Aug 4 - Aug 11, 2014
- Nobody likes to get sick! Check out the new article we added this week: Warding Off the Con Flu.
- Do “original characters” count as cosplay? Last month’s poll results had 60% saying Yes and 33% saying sometimes/it depends.
- [Not Safe For Work - Nude Breasts ] A collection of Cosplay photos from the 1970s paint a similar, yet different costuming scene.
- If you want a more work-safe blast from the past, check out these videos of cosplay from Anime Expo 1999!
- The dummies’ guide to cosplay photography covers etiquette, ethics, and tips for newbies.
- If you loved Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy you should check out Calen Hoffman’s costume … WOW!
- Wonder Woman Fan? You might like to check out this discussion about her new costume for Dawn of Justice. It’s sprinkled with some great reference images!
- Crunchyroll shares some video from the WCS Red Carpet.
- You know the hobby has gone mainstream when it gets a parody on Sesame Street!
- Check out this gallery of Edith Head’s sketches alongside the movie costumes they were for.
- Things cosplayers need to stop doing brings up some common complaints in the cosplay community. Agree or not, this video sparks some great points for discussion!
This Week In Cosplay: July 28th - Aug 4th, 2014
- I’ve been revamping the Cosplay Tutorial safety articles. Learn more about First Aid & Allergies at a convention or Material Safety Data Sheets
- Guardians of the Galaxy had some amazing costumes that you’re probably itching to cosplay! Get some inspiration with these photos of Chris Pratt’s Star Lord Costume, Gamora’s Costume or Marvel’s segment on the Gear and Garb of Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Congrats to this year’s winners of the World Cosplay Summit! Russia took first place, Italy took second place and Indonesia took third. If you want to learn more about the teams who competed, check out the WCS Introduction page. Want to see more skits? Check them out here.
- Speaking of cosplay comeptitions, check out this coverage of the European Cosplay Gathering UK Preliminaries.
- Makeup artist Dick Smith, known for his work on the Exorcist and The Godfather passed away on Wednesday. May he rest in peace.
- The story of a girl found unconcious at a hotel close to SDCC was everywhere, with many assuming she was assaulted. It sparked some great discussion on convention harassment, but (thankfully) she was likely not the victim of an assault but rather, a 6 foot fall.
- This pulp fiction cosplay is scary-accurate, are we sure Samuel l Jackson was wearing a mask on the con floor ?
This Week In Cosplay: Jul 21 - Jul 28, 2014
- The cosplay tutorial list now has a legend, explaining what the icon beside a tutorial link means. If you want more detail check out this post.
- Love this hobby? You might want to learn about cosplay’s history in this article titled: 75 Years of Capes and Face Paint.
- The World Cosplay Summit (WCS) kicks off in Japan. 20 countries sent their top cosplayers to compete! Check out their opening ceremonies which will be going on until August 3rd.
- Geeks for CONsent managed to get 2,600 signatures on their petition for San Diego Comic Con to set up a clear harassment policy at the convention. [secondary article here] [and a third, because this is a popular topic]
- That’s right, it was SDCC this weekend and tons of stars experienced our hobby while hiding in the crowd. Stars such as Daniel Radcliffe, Audrina Patridge, Adam Savage, Jaden Smith and Peter Jackson.
(If you like Adam Savage’s Alien Spacesuit, you’ll love this video)
- We mentioned Marvel last week but DC fans also have a lot of new costumes to make. Check out the new movieverse Batman costume and Wonder Woman’s ensemble.
- Speaking of Batman, you might get inspired by these “Most Insane Batman Costumes You’ve Ever Seen” from the Cape/Cowl/Create event. Zack Snyder needs to let it go…
- Amid the hype we also have news sites explaining what cosplay is, and we have reporters learning what cosplay is all about.
- If fashion is your passion, you might also enjoy seeing these pics of the “Geek Couture” fashion show from SDCC.
- It’s fun to be in costume but “Freaking out the mundanes” can lead to you getting in trouble. If you’re transporting prop weapons, it is best to keep them out of site. There are other costumed people who aren’t so well meaning.
- "Comic-Con’s Year of the Kickass Woman" an article on female attendees and female representation at SDCC.
- Confessions of a Cosplay Mom: a christian mother’s postive perspective on the hobby. (Page 3 has some tips for parents who have children interested in cosplay)
Also on SDCC news, Norman Chan of Tested posted his SDCC Cosplay Gallery with 750+ pictures and he’s looking for the names of cosplayers to credit them.
This (and Last) Week In Cosplay - July 8th to July 21st, 2014
- Dashcon was a thing that happened and now we get hilarious cosplays from it. And ballpits at conventions become a lot more common!
- Sometimes props take cosplay to a whole new level of awesome.
- Our cosplay tutorial list got a major update (check the dropdown) as I continue to make the site even better.
- Marvel put out this guide to cosplaying and this women of Marvel podcast featuring Yaya Han. (Plus: I’m sure we can expect to see a lot of cosplays of the new Thor and Captain America )
- On the flip side, DC fans are probably already getting their new Batgirl cosplays ready.
- Cosplaying an alternate design of a character can help you stand out in a crowd.
- Cosplay really made a difference in this disabled veteran’s life
- Cosplayer Yau Wong Siu-lun wants the world to know that underneath the make-up and outrageous costumes, cosplayers are real people, too.
- CNN interviewed Hideaki Kobayashi, a well known Japanese crossplayer who demonstrates that cosplay doesn’t have an age limit
- If “Mi’lady” is part of your regular vocabulary you might love this cosplay.
This Week In Cosplay: Jun 30 - Jul 7, 2014
- We continue to update the cosplay tutorial website! The major changes to the entire website are complete and this week will be focused on upgrading the tutorial list.
- Heroes of Cosplay season 1.5 finished. If you’ve been avoiding the show but want to read how the ending went down, there is an overview here. Think that’s the end of the show, or at least it’s “con-ruining” antics? Only time will tell.
- Families cosplaying together will counter your case of the mondays!
- Supernatural fans might find this costume idea pretty impressive.
- Cosplay: A Bangladeshi Perspective gives us an insight on cosplaying in another part of the world.
- Cosplay: It’s effort, not bare skin, that matters most explains the hobby to BBC News readers in a positive way.
- Holly Conrad and Jessica Merizan explain that cosplay doesn’t have to involve fiberglass or silicone, be creative!
- Cosplay is getting recognition in the form of a photography exhibition, hosted by Denver’s Skylite Station gallery.
- You probably are addicted to cosplay, but just to be sure you should check out these 10 signs you’re addicted to cosplay.
This Week In Cosplay
June 23 - June 30, 2014
- http://cosplaytutorial.com got a new look. Please be patient as we continue to update the site! Expect it to be bigger, better and more informative than it ever has been! (
Next: taking over the world)
- The debate of “who is ruining cosplay” carries on with this article about cosplayers ruining cosplay and non-cosplayers ruining cosplay. (Personally I think cosplay is doing fine and well, especially since revealing costumes have been around since the 1980s)
- A new challenger has arrived! Myx TV premiered it’s own cosplay tv show “Call to Cosplay”. You can watch the trailer here or learn more on the Myx TV site.
- Heroes of Cosplay is a two parter this week. This quick review can catch you up for this week’s episode. (Alternatively, you may want to read about how the convention and competition was disrupted by the show)
- Here are some last minute cosplay ideas for the procrastinators.
- Five easy steps to cosplay success
- Pugs + cosplay. YESSSSSSSSSSS
- On the marvel cosplay train? You might be interested in this sneak peak at Thor’s Age of Ultron costume.
- Ending with some costume design and alliteration: 'Penny Dreadful' Costume Designer Gabriella Pescucci on Her Dreadfully Delicious Designs
This Week In Cosplay: June 16 - June 23, 2014
- How cool is this? The Syfy 360 Degree Fan Cam makes for an impressive way to show off cosplays.
- bullying in the cosplay / convention communitytends to make it into news articles every week.
- If you were given $5 to make a costume, could you do it? Zeroes of Cosplay manages to create some costumes on a tight budget!
- These cosplay pictures from the 1980s show how much we have, and haven’t changed, in 32 years!
- The Cosplay =/= CONsent movement in Philly is doing some great things.
- Lifetime’s ‘Bonnie & Clyde’ Costume Designer Reveals Secrets to Movie’s Killer Fashion
- Craft-Fu is a tutorial convention in Salt Lake City, Utah being held June 27-28 covering tons of awesome cosplay and crafting topics. If you’re in the area you may want to check it out!
- A Heroes of Cosplay inspired project was started to show what making a cosplay and congoing is really like. Want to support the project or participate? Check out Real Life Cosplayers on Tumblr.
- Cinema Makeup School announced Ignacia Hargreaves of Santiago, Chile as the winner of their “The Next Level of Cosplay” Contest.
- This Aladdin cosplayer has been making a splash and this Lara Croft cosplayer went for full accuracy
- E3 happened and even though everyone was focusing on the exciting gaming news, there was also cosplay
- As the World Cosplay Summit draws closer, why don’t you check out the teams that will be competing
- Carlotta Nuti covers some of the makeup techniques and choices used for Maleficent.
- ThinkGeek is looking for people to donate costumes to a stuffed monkey named Timmy. If you’re looking for a small project to do with your scrap fabric, this might be it…
- Cosplay Doesn’t Equal Consent, and Why Would it?
- Part of a series on interviewing 100 creatives, you can learn a bit about Queen Creek Costume Designer Aurelie Flores and if you enjoy reading about costume design; check out this interview with costume designer Jennifer Rogien, discussing her work on Orange is the New Black.
- Lastly, you have to love when non-convention cosplay events go well and get good publicity
- CosplayTutorial (hey, that’s us!) officially launched the new look for tip tuesday, and new features: q&a wednesday and would you rather thursday. (More great updates coming soon!)
- Article: Harrassment at Cons and what we can do about it .
Hollaback!Philly is working against convention harrassment andthey have a petition for better anti-harrassment policies at SDCC.
Convention harrassment is the big topic of the week with many news articles talking about SDCC’s Harrassment Controversy.
- Nothing like cosplay / convention music videos to get you excited for your next convention. Warm and fuzzy feels!
- PSA: Don’t cosplay at theme parks (disney) unless they allow it (special events / theme days) You’ll probably be kicked out if you do.
- The nerdist posted some awesome and creative cosplays that incorporate a wheelchair. and speaking of cool cosplays, this costume is just impressive
- "Cosplay:Alcohol for nerds" is an interesting article about a journalist’s first experience dressing up at a con. (Personally I think alcohol is the alcohol for nerds and cosplay is more of an addictive drug, this is definitely a feel-good article~)
- When technology and cosplay collide we get some pretty awesome results!
- I’ve been learning about whitewashing & cosplay this week and want to share some of my findings: There are a lot of great posts on the subject by various bloggers based on their experiences. It’s important to read (even beyond these), get informed, and think about the impact your cosplay choices may have!
- If you need a dose of cute to get through today, definitely click here.
This Week In Cosplay: May 26 - Jun 2, 2014
We’ll be featuring any big cosplay news we come across during the week. If you come across any big stories, let us know so they can be included.
- World Cosplay Summit Comes to Canada (Otakuthon)
- Heroes of Cosplay Returns for Season 2 and there is a drinking game. Also some of the stars did a panel about the show and it’s interesting.
- Everyone really loves these pokemon cosplayers and cute kids as threatening characters
- PSA: Nailpolish is expensive, here are some sealing / gloss coat alternatives
- This article goes in-depth about cosplayers Jessica Nigri and Lindsay Elyse, from how they got started to where they are now.
- Onto costuming professionals, check out this article with Penny Rose about the costume designs in 47 Ronin or this article about June Hudson’s work on Doctor Who
- If Maleficent made your cosplay to-do list you may enjoy this article, this article or this one (which has some great reference pictures!)
- SMOSH features a collection of cosplay photobombs
((Do you like this new feature?))